Reply to post: Re: RAID-0 FFS?

It's enough to get your back up: Eight dual-bay SOHO NAS boxes

Nick Collingridge

Re: RAID-0 FFS?

A couple of points regarding this:

1. My philosophy has always been "The more backups the better". Using RAID 1 does provide a backup, although there can be issues with it. But for the most likely scenario of a drive failure you do get one of your backups in a transparent form with almost no performance hit compared to a single drive NAS box, and the advantage that your data continues to be available when that drive fails. And replacing the failed drive is generally very straightforward. But it would be crazy to rely on it without further backup, and here I would suggest three possibilities - firstly a directly connected batch-backuped USB drive (once a day or so) using rsync or the like (many NAS boxes have an easy-to-use packaged version of rsync with a good UI), Secondly a second NAS box which is also backed up to using the same approach. And thirdly a cloud backup if you want - again many NAS boxes have pre-packaged clients for the leading cloud storage providers.

2. I cannot see the point of using RAID 0 on a NAS box - your data is so at risk to a drive failure and if the performance issue is so important you should be using a directly connected (USB3, ESATA, Thunderbolt) drive anyway. What is the point of using network-attached RAID 0? It is just crazy and doesn't make any sense at all to me. Why put all of that performance at the end of a network cable? Even at Gigabit speeds you won't get any faster speed from RAID 0 than you will from RAID 1, as the performance graphs in the review clearly show. So just forget about RAID 0 on a NAS box!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon