Reply to post: Give and take

Don't want Windows 10 FILTH on the company network? Step this way

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Give and take

We were bought by an American company and as part of the IT rules everything had to run the prescribed antivirus solution or it could not be connected to the corporate network. We develop Linux based real-time stuff which could not have the AV installed so we hit a bit of problem, I split the network up, we run training courses with visitors, I split the network some more and kept firewalling the MS network from most things we need to be productive.

I try to work with users but I dislike the guy (so far only males) who thinks his PC/Laptop is his property and he knows best, as he rarely reviews that or takes anyones opinion, guranteed he wants to take the license-questionable route because he "does at home OK". I know genuine users often just want to get on, but help the system don't just ignore it or it won't evolve.

But then -

Right now we have guidance from corp on what cloud services we can use, "a single file share vendor", now that is more of a problem as "use" entails use on corporate PC's and "one file share" is quite restrictive. I hear on the grapevine at corp hq they send dodgy emails and use IM, it says in the written policy we can't, so do I risk breaking rules not observed elsewhere to help staff get on?

IMHO half the problem is US litigation culture, nobody wants to be on record opening the door to any risk so getting anything approved is near impossible, "getting round the system" becomes the norm and it leaves the auditors raking in the bucks while giving zero...(concern on useability).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon