Reply to post:

Windows 10 marks the end of 'pay once, use forever' software

Michael Habel

Well to be honest the things that I've been reading about Windows 8.x & 10 haven't had me singing in the rafters.... In hindsight I think the post Windows hate ~ca Vista were totally... Or near totally unjustified. However Ballmer giving the OEMs to play fast & loose with the minimum specs of what is needed to actually run a decent Vista Machine, was probably what killed it off. Thus enters Windows 7, the Neo-XP I'd dare to say that Windows 7 probably was their high-water mark as far as the OS goes...

Then came the iFad, and oh-nows we need to make everything touch-able now... Thus came Windows 8.x... And, all the WIMP users went into a giant collective chorus of WTF?! Thus enters Windows 10.

But, the one thing I've yet to see (i.e. read), even once... Is any compelling reason to push off, and use Windows 10, over say Windows 7. I think anyone with a braincell left would know that this is a downgrade. Loss of Aero (Transparencies), loss of privacy (creepy Cortina), the loss of control (updates).... I've yet to see any wins... Other then.. Well its not Windows 8.x!

I don't have a doubt in my mind this is what millions of People are thinking this right now... Problem is I was blessed to never come across any Windows 8,x Machines in the Wild ever. So while I can feign emptily for those Persons... I really haven't a clue about it. And Microsoft are cementing 7's place as the new XP, well till 2020 anway. I wonder if history (XP clinging to life after all these years with reportedly 12% of all Internet traffic coming from XP.), is set to repeat itself? Something is telling me yes it will.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon