Reply to post:

Oracle: Docker container tech will be in the Zone on Solaris

JimProfit

- Thank you for the details of ZFS but honestly, the benefits really are not that awesome or supported Linux distros would have adopted them (ZFS) earlier.

Circular reasonning..

Thank you for you explanation about containers, sorry but your vision of containers is very narrow..

Zones like OpenVZ/Linux-Vserver = operating-system-level virtualization, which can host one service as well as a full OS instances, and has some advantages over hardware virtualization. And in the foreseeable future we'll still have to run full OS instances..

http://dtrace.org/blogs/brendan/2013/01/11/virtualization-performance-zones-kvm-xen/

Yes the micro-services pattern is gaining traction these days, SmartDatacenter was built on it..

IMHO one of the problem of solutions like SDC is that it requires some real expertise and investment to fully understand and appreciate it. It's not the most marketable product..

Not that I would expect it from someone with reasonings like "it's not on linux so it can't be awesome" to give it enough consideration. (BTW weren't you referring to snobism in your first post ?)

I don't care that much for Solaris or Oracle.. Illumos or Linux are more the OS I'm interested in, and other opensource OS..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon