Reply to post: Re: "GM takes matters that affect our customers' safety and security very seriously."

Unlock and start General Motors cars with a $100 box of tricks – hacker

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: "GM takes matters that affect our customers' safety and security very seriously."

But not quiiiiite that seriously to do a good job the first time around.

Hmm, unless you have more information that has not been expressed in the reporting that strikes me as an unfair assumption. Have you ever had a pause in the endless stream of Windows security updates since Windows 3.1? Never had any Android and iOS apps updates?

Mistakes are made, and it is a good sign that GM is actively engaged with the researcher to address the problems. I am probably not the only one who would worry about remote controlled locks and ignition, but that is a conceptual issue - if you don't want that, don't buy a car with OnStar. It's a bit like that Mercedes rescue system - don't have it installed if the ability to be overheard without your knowledge bothers you.

I suspect this is not the last problem we see unearthed, and I think it is better to see this as positive than create so much noise that companies are tempted to hide such things from us instead of fixing them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon