Reply to post: Personal preference

The Lazarus Effect: Saved by Linux and Cash Converters

Unicornpiss
Happy

Personal preference

I know everyone has their personal preference for an OS, and within the LInux world for the specific distro and desktop. (Mint with Cinnamon desktop for me--sounds like an odd dessert to non Linux folks)

I have been using Linux for years. While I am still much more of a Windows "guru" since I deal with it and support it and its aps daily at work, I like to get home and use something that truly "just works" most of the time. (or at least gives me less, and different errors) And I surely don't miss messages like "Do you trust this printer?" --well, I wouldn't leave it alone with sharp objects, but... It's ridiculous how much fewer resources Linux uses than Win 7 on my machine. On Windows, it's also usually click and wait.. and wait.. On Linux, it's more like "Already done that sir, what next?"

Re. Nvidia, I did have a bit of grief getting the drivers to install properly when I went from ATI to Nvidia, but it wasn't that bad and all features incl. hardware acceleration work flawlessly with the NV driver. Mint installed my color laser printer without blinking--was a headache on Win 7, and even streaming Netflix and Amazon content works great after a bit of consulting the web. Better than Windows actually, which requires frequent cleanouts of the Netflix cache.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon