Reply to post: It was more fun back then.

Happy birthday, Amiga: The 'other' home computer turns 30

OldB0y

It was more fun back then.

Had a BBC B that I loved, even learned a bit of programming. However for me it was the Amiga 1000 (Dad bought it home from work - I was amazed, never seen graphics like it, and as for the sound....). Hours spent with Deluxe Paint and various games. This was followed by a student loan purchased A1200 that eventually had a second hand Blizzard 1230. Then got Power towered and at great expense Blizzard PPC'd. This was the era that really got me hooked on all things computers and gaming.

It was the late 90's and my crappy first PC and MS Windows, not to mention my first job mainly supporting Windows users - and a few Mac users - that very nearly turned me off it all for good!

Said PC has long since been in landfill, but I still have the towered 1200, although it doesn't get used much, as like me its a bit temperamental. The A1000 and sundry other bits (non working A4000) are in the loft. I do however have an 060 accelerated A1200 setup with a 4GB CF 'HDD' for some old school gaming and demos.

Nowadays I use a Mac at home, its closer to the Amiga than Windows ever has or is ever likely to be, but still not nearly as much fun.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon