Reply to post: WTF? Noob!

Beaten blokes hate the women who frag them in online games

Bernard M. Orwell

WTF? Noob!

I play various online games with my niece. She is 21, I am 47. She'll batter me at DOTA, CS:GO and most other "twitch" games. I, on the other hand, will wipe the floor with her in any strategy game you care to mention. Her peer group are all males. she is a clan leader and runs her community with an iron hand. When people lose to her they never mention the fact that she's female, and when she beats them its because they are "noobs" (just like any male gamer would point out).

Why is this? Because the opposition don't KNOW she is female and her peer group accept her as an equal. She doesn't advertise the fact she is female and competes on a completely even keel as a result. She's a gamer in her own right, using her own skills, and is a model of equality as a result. She doesn't play the gender card when beaten or when winning and she's going to give as good as she gets if someone starts trash talking in TS. (I have occasionally heard people state that they believe she's a "nine year old boy" because of her voice, and she will correct them then, which often results in stunned silence).

If I were to ask her about this whole thing. she'd probably roll her eyes and say the following two things, which you may or may not "get".

Rule #16: There are NO girls on the internet. Also, on the internet no one knows you're a dog.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon