Reply to post: Re: "Why remove the charm and usability from Windows, in the mad chase for apps?"

Windows 10 on Mobile under the scope: Flaws, confusion, and going nowhere fast

P. Lee

Re: "Why remove the charm and usability from Windows, in the mad chase for apps?"

>What would really be wrong with a desktop OS, a decent tablet adaption and a phone that works?

MS has no USP for phones and tablets. The only USP they can think of is "it runs Windows - we have a lot of windows developers."

What they should have done is make a better platform, not come up with the answer "Windows" before they knew what the problem was. Sadly for MS, the applications used on phones and tablets are not the same as those on the desktop so they needed to be written from scratch. That's been done, on IOS and Android - no-one wants to do it yet again on Windows. Who needs another email or video app for Windows desktop? There's just very little synergy between the phone/tablet and desktop platforms. MS' best hope is that Intel improve their power management so that desktop windows with touch can run on a (presumably large) tablet.

If I were MS, I'd take a Macbook Air 11" or one of the new Macbooks. Give it a touch screen and a hinge to fold the keyboard around the back and see what happens. For good measure, I'd make the disk and ram upgradeable. Rather than spend money making a new phone/tablet ecosystem, spend that money making honing Windows desktop to make it more mobile.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon