Reply to post: even hidden SSID can be shared

UH OH: Windows 10 will share your Wi-Fi key with your friends' friends

hayzoos

even hidden SSID can be shared

The sharing occurs when selected upon connection. If your hidden SSID is entered into your buddy's Win10 with the password and sharing enabled, then their friends can now access your hidden SSID network.

You do not even have to have Win10 yourself for your WiFi to be shared. The WAN only access is implemented in software. Bypass the software WAN only restriction to access the LAN.

I will be renaming my three home networks to include _optout. I do not even want the _guests network shared like this. I have 11 WiFi clients to update in-house and a number of real friends who will need the new name.

I never bothered with _nomap since by the time I found out, It was probably already mapped.

What happens in the case of a Win10 upgrade of a Win7 or Win8 and WiFi is already entered? Will it or not be shared?

What happens if the sharing is later turned off? I guess you would have to tell Win10 to "forget" the network then reconnect without the sharing option. Will friends continue to have access? Will the have access until they disconnect if currently connected? Will a bug arise which continues to allow friends to have access?

My WiFi MAC address filtering only allows 20 whitelisted MAC addresses. I have had to abandon the MAC filtering because I have more than 20 permitted devices.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon