Reply to post: 32bit version supports older hardware, >2Gb RAM with PAE

Run Windows 10 on your existing PC you say, Microsoft? Hmmm.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

32bit version supports older hardware, >2Gb RAM with PAE

On Windows 8.1 32 bit Pro, I run a Yamaha SW1000XG from 1999/2000 (that I bought for a Windows 98 PC) now in an Intel Core 2 Duo dual core 1.86Ghz desktop. This machine's processor is 64bit but also supports 32 bit mode for 32 bit editions of Windows. Because the drivers for this sound card were only ever 32bit (latest ones were Windows XP), I have installed the 32 bit edition of Windows 8.1 Pro. The sound card works perfectly, using the 32bit XP drivers. I would expect (hope?) Windows 10 32 bit to have the same outcome.

As for saying 32bit machines are ancient I would disagree, as this desktop machine is dual core and runs most apps competently. There are even quad core intel processors to be had on ebay cheaply that would support 32bit mode and therefore older 32bit hardware with a 32bit edition of Windows: 7, 8.1 and perhaps 10.

Also, depending on how such old hardware iteracts with the address space of the CPU, PAE (Physical Address Extension) may be possible allowing for >2Gb RAM on a 32bit Windows edition.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon