Reply to post: Not sure how much of a bargain this is

Dexter maker Showtime streams over the 'net, joins cable-cutting gang

Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Not sure how much of a bargain this is

So, for HBO and Showtime on Apple TV I'd pay $26 per month. Currently I have them included as part of my cable "premium" package, which also includes a bunch of other movie channels - Starz, Encore, TMC, etc. And, of course, that means I also get them via Apple TV and their websites, and the cable company's VoD service, since those are included for cable subscribers.

My cable provider, like most, is shy about pricing, except for the teaser deals they try to entice new victims with; but the last time I badgered one of their phone reps into telling me how dropping the premium channels would affect my bill, it wasn't all that much. And in return I'm limited to Apple TV and the websites for viewing - which admittedly isn't much of a restriction, but it's a restriction nonetheless. It means I can't DVR stuff from them, for example, which is useful if the Internet connection may be flaky when I want to watch.

I never watch Showtime myself, but my wife likes Homeland. That and GoT are nearly all we use any of the premium channels for, but once in a while someone watches a movie on them.

I don't know. We still might drop the premium-channel package and use the Apple TV more, but I don't think it's a significant savings for us.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon