Reply to post: Re: GIMMIE!

Samsung stuffs 2 TERABYTES into flash drive for ordinary folk

James O'Shea

Re: GIMMIE!

"Why not buy a smaller SSD for your OS and programs, and keep your data on the cheaper spinning rust?"

Because...

1 my laptop doesn't have enough space for two internal drives and I'd really rather not haul around an external drive

2 my Windows desktop already has all the internal drive bays filled up. I'd have to pull _two_ drives, replace one with a drive large enough to hold the data from the two drives, migrate the data, and then put in the SSD. Easier to leave well enough alone until the next time I build a new system.

3 my Mac desktop (a Mac mini) has space for two internal drives but both are in use. Again, I'd have to migrate the data to another internal drive or to an external. Messing with the innards of a Mac mini is non-trivial, though better than it used to be. And a new Mac mini is not on, Apple has deleted the ability to have two internal drives for reasons which no doubt made sense to them.

That said... I'm not buying one of these because of the price. It's more than I paid for for any of the computers I'd use it in. (Yes, it costs more than Apple kit, which pretty much says it all.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon