Reply to post: Re: Oh well, nice concept anyway...

Chinese takeaway, hold the Google: Xiaomi Mi4 LTE Android

Shades

Re: Oh well, nice concept anyway...

So much nonsense.

"you have to replace the entire UI"

The launcher appears to use localistion, apart from, oddly, the pulldown settings WiFi button, which is labelled "Gildas". The Settings menus all appear to use localisation. The main apps all appear to be use localistion and labelled in local language in the MIUI launcher. The only things that appear to be in Chinese (other than the stock browser) are apps that are specific to Chinese services, but would you use them even if they were in English or replace them with something else that you know anyway? Hardly the biggest hardship in the (phone) world.

"have to essentially replace it's back end loader"

Have to? Only if you want to use some Google services. And what you're actually talking about is the Google Services Framework; basically an API, not a "back end loader" that, amongst other things, all GApps use to talk to Google servers, rather than that function being coded individually into each and every app. It also allows you to sign in once and all GApps will work, rather than having to individually sign in to each GApp.

"And having to use a dubious-security third party boot loader"

Did you just see the words "boot" and "loader" once and thought you'd throw them in here? Again, what you're talking about is the Google Services Framework, which is not a "boot loader" and it seems the article is even wrong or the reviewer overlooked a little detail. There is a "Google Installer" on the phone which, when you try to install any GApps, tells you you need the Google Services Framework and prompts you to install it! So no dubious security, and no third party!

---------------------------------------------

Here's a tip: You know what I do when I don't know what I'm talking about? I STFU, ask pertinent questions or do some research...

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." - Benjamin Franklin

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021