Reply to post: Re: Gartner (GG) SSA Market analysis & MQ includes IBM V840 and V9000! Why !? And HP 7200 !Why?

HP one of the fairest, claims Gartner's magic quadrant on the wall

El Storage Master

Re: Gartner (GG) SSA Market analysis & MQ includes IBM V840 and V9000! Why !? And HP 7200 !Why?

I will politely intervene so that you do not confuse other readers.

1. I have to back Gartner in how they exclude Hitachi and Dell. I do not normally back Gartner, but here is what needs to be understood. An AFA cannot have an internal controller that is BOTH flash-optimized and disk-optimized at the same time. Any internal controller that supports disk will positively, absolutely, bottleneck flash media. Therefore, you cannot consider any system containing this type of controller, as an AFA, because it is really designed for HYBRID. The Hitachi boxes, even with all-SSD configs, are large and bulky, and look nothing like all of the other vendors' small form factor HW boxes. Again, Gartner got this right.

2. IBM's v840 and v900 is a self-contained AFA that is flash-only media. It has absolutely no HDD in it and you cannot put HDD in it. What you are seeing is that IBM has SVC technology that can be used in front of the v840 and v9000 to leverage other HDD-based storage in an environment, even other vendor's storage.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon