Reply to post: So what will happen...

Courtney Love in the crossfire! Paris turns ugly over Uber

RegGuy1 Silver badge

So what will happen...

... when Uber finally get rid of their drivers and have Google driverless cars, that reduce the cost of taxis to the point you can afford to use them for the daily commute?

In France you will still have to pay a fortune to travel around, but the rest of Europe will have put thousands of taxi drivers out of business.

Consider this. In the 80s the dockers went on strike. Automation would destroy thousands of dockers' jobs. I supported the dockers. How wrong was I? The big automated container ports around the world now employ only a handful of people. International trade is now more possible than ever before; it is possible to ship half-finished components around the world for final assembly somewhere else. That was never possible when you had to pay thousands of wages.

But think of the new jobs this is creating. Uber (part owned by Google) will force through this change. We all want it, but those affected will complain. This is the future -- they must retrain.

Sorry, I know it's tough. But you can't stop it. France will just become more uncompetitive unless the bow to the common denominator that automated cars bring.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon