Reply to post: Re: Just use Linux and be done with it!

Microsoft to Linux users: Explain yourself

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Just use Linux and be done with it!

"Relying exclusively on one company's technology has always been fraught with danger."

Weren't you the poster further up the thread demanding reasons why people should learn this and arguing that they should just stick with Linux?

I did. No one company maintains Linux. There is a "Linux Foundation", but it is a non-commercial entity, if it went under, Linux would survive since the source code is open, any group, be it commercial or volunteer, could take over. Linus might hold a trademark on the "Linux" name, but the actual kernel belongs to no one singular person or organisation.

My argument was that there are a few common monitoring frameworks that have been around for many years now, are quite mature, and interoperate with more than just Linux. There's little value in inventing yet another new one that so far, seems to be exclusive to one cloud provider.

"Instead, they went their own way, and wonder why the masses don't come running after them"

I don't think they do wonder that actually, since the new Powershell integration only released last month and this is primarily a call for feedback on what people would like to see. Or did you not read the article? Clearly a project is a failure if it hasn't turned the existing market on its head during the feature specification phase.

And Azure is doing very well, btw, climbing rapidly against the incumbent behemoth AWS, so it's doubly odd that you should be damming it for not being popular as this is just one feature of Azure being added.

Yep, PowerShell might have lots of bells and whistles, but sysadmins have been using Python, Perl and Bourne Shell for far longer to do similar things.

It's early days for Azure, and sure, it has done well. It's about as viable as any of the other providers right now.

My criticism was whether this feature was useful anywhere else but Azure. If it can be deployed elsewhere, then it might see some traction with green-fields sites. Brown-field sites will have their solutions already. People can develop support for it in test labs outside of Azure and the community can choose to embrace it if they wish.

Anyone hiring looking for particular skills are going to find an easier job getting people who know the existing systems than something brand new that Microsoft has cooked up, and re-training people costs money. This is why it will struggle today, versus if it had been conceived years ago.

If however, it's exclusive to Azure, then the only way you can work with it is to set up systems in Microsoft's cloud. The community at large is generally shut off from accessing it, and it'll only be Azure users who maintain any support for it. Support will be limited to what Microsoft chooses to provide or what its users are able to cobble together.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon