Reply to post: The audit report is true

Verizon promised to wire up NYC with fiber... and failed miserably – audit

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

The audit report is true

Verizon is a dismal failure.

Verizon promised a FiOS connection to my building/apartment in 2004. It never happened. Just to clarify: I don't live in the sticks, or under a bridge.

Friends of mine - who were lucky enough to get a FiOS connection to their building - consistently complain about how unreliable and slow FiOS is. Never mind that Verizon got tax breaks and was allowed to raise their rates to subsidize this FiOS rollout. For those buildings who gained FiOS access, the residents were expected to share the cost of connecting the building to Verizon's FiOS; Verizon wasn't going to do it. Verizon's lame excuse: "We don't have access to the building."

The best you can get from Verizon DSL - if you can't get FiOS - is 7Mb/down 1.5Mb/up. That's their 'Ultra-High-Speed Business DSL". It costs USD $165/month plus federal, state and local taxes.

All my friends here gave up on FiOS and went back to Time Warner Cable Broadband Internet. Not because Time Warner Cable is any good - it sucks, but because it's marginally better than Verizon FiOS. Verizon's abject failure enabled Time Warner Cable to become a de-facto monopoly for Broadband Internet in New York City.

So, no, it's not the unions, or the hurricane. It's Verizon's mind-boggling incompetence and corruption.

I hope Verizon gets sued for breach of contract.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon