Reply to post: Re: A bit late, Microsoft

Microsoft to Linux users: Explain yourself

h4rm0ny
Facepalm

Re: A bit late, Microsoft

>>"Yes, but there's a time and place for that. Production networks is not one of them."

You asked why someone should learn this, I gave you a reason. You replied with the above. Clearly you think the only way to learn something is to deploy it immediately into production. I'm happy to inform you that this is not so. Though as you have again not seemed to realize that this is built in as a feature in Azure, your comment is really nonsensical in this context. The only part that needs to be added to the VM is a small bridge to the Azure functionality outside, for which source is available. I've looked at it, it's trivial.

>>… and if we're not using Azure?

Then one would wonder why you're busy posting in a story about an Azure tool complaining about how it doesn't offer something to those who don't use Azure.

>>"Windows of course, they need to provide these tools as it's difficult to get stats out of a Windows box otherwise.

This is a monitoring tool for GNU/Linux systems. It's not a tool for getting Windows stats. As regards "difficult to get stats out of a Windows box", what on Earth are you talking about? Why is that difficult? Do you genuinely not know that there are plenty of tools to do this and that Windows has pretty extensive logging capabilities?

>>"(I'm not sure if there's the equivalent of /proc/loadavg or df, you probably have to write your own using calls to DLLs.)"

What is especially depressing is that you wrote a paragraph about how GNU/Linux has nagios and that you'd "have to sit down and learn it one day" when Nagios actually works with Windows as well as *NIX systems. You can get disk usage, CPU load et al. out of Windows with the very tool you were holding up as an example of Linux tools. Amongst plenty of other monitoring tools and services as well. If you genuinely think that one of the world's largest server OSs lacks the ability to report on disk usage without "having to write your own calls to DLLs" then you're not only completely ignorant on the subject, but you lack even the basic ability to deduce that what you say is highly unlikely to be true in the first place. I can assure you that yes, you can monitor disk usage on Windows boxes. And not only do you not know Windows, but if you're custom writing scripts to call df on GNU/Linux, then I'm sorry to say that you don't know the GNU/Linux ecosystem very well, either.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon