Reply to post: Re: Typical.

Cops turn Download Festival into an ORWELLIAN SPY PARADISE

DiViDeD

Re: Typical.

I'm more than a little unsettled by the 'known crims' idea that a number of commentards have mentioned.

What is meant by 'known crims'? It's one thing if it's 'warrant out for the arrest of X in connection with Y', but something else when it's 'Got him on the criminal database when he was arrested for taking photos of the Town Hall' (seriously, happened to me. Arrested, lectured, threatened because I wouldn't hand the sdcard over then 'dearrested' and warned to mind how I go. They even tried to insist I provide a DNA sqab sample until I pointed out I'd been dearrested and they'd have to arrest me all over again to get the sample, which I would insist was taken at the station with a senior officer and solicitor present), or 'Got convicted of burglary/public order offence/looking at me in a funny way in 1974'.

Are we really going to be monitoring and refusing entry to people because of spent convictions or arrests which never led to a court case?

Just asking, as someone who used to believe that these powers would never be abused.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon