Reply to post: Business OS upgrade or another misplaced consumer toy?

Windows 10: Forget Cloudobile, put Security and Privacy First

Dethstar

Business OS upgrade or another misplaced consumer toy?

Great article. Pretty much sums up the thoughts of most people I know. We don't really need anything past Windows 7.

We certainly did nothing to deserve Windows 8 though some they really had to buy a new laptop were grateful for 8.1 to replace 8 and all wish they could get the time back on wasted pilots of Windows 8.

However, its been a long time since Microsoft created an OS anyone was really excited about other than their marketing department. I think many of those of my generation who remember a time before the war on privacy, remember that Microsoft actually started it. Look where the direction they lead took us?

Dalliances with trying to put a live always on Camera and Mic in every living room, dodgy DRM, VOIP which actually made the, until then, relatively banal concept of a telephone conversion between 2 people (even in the same building) an amazing achievement.

Now they are trying to give me something free....... The company which try to charge a user for addressing licensing issues they created or day 1 product issues..

One has to wonder why and who is really paying and how. I am highly suspicious. When 8 was released and I developed a strange deaf condition when asked to sign any requisitions involving products which came with it.

Wondering if this is going to finally be an upgrade we could live with in terms of a functioning business OS or a toy for consumer machines paid for by the data which will be collected on our business and the individuals in it. Unlike Windows 8. All reports seem to indicate the product itself is sound and unlike Windows 8, is actually usable and will not see productivity dive deeper than the Marianas Trench. So, what is the kicker here? Will MS be using this "upgrade" as a Trojan horse for the mass stealing of corporate data on the basis of individual licensing agreements or are we able to secure our business and keep our data safe without keeping MS out completely?

Forgive my cynicism but with the sort of previous MS has, the prospect of installing another unknown from MS feels like letting Reggie Kray in to look after the kids and clean my gold brick collection.

I will be waiting for those wiser than me to pull apart the OS and tell me what exactly is going on no matter how long it takes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon