Reply to post: Re: To those here hailing the arrival of Google cars

Google: Our self-driving cars would be tip-top if you meatheads didn’t crash into them

Intractable Potsherd

Re: To those here hailing the arrival of Google cars

Actually, I sort of agree with you. Once being able to drive is no longer a near-necessity, it will be easier to increase the standards of the driving test so that it is more rigorous. People who are currently forced to do something they don't want, or don't have the innate ability, to do can still have the freedom that comes with car ownership without needing to pilot a couple of tonnes of metal. That is all to the good.

However, regarding your comment about people who have driven hundreds of thousands of miles without an accident - I'm one, and I know many others. I don't class myself as an excellent driver, and I am not as good as many of my friends,but I have the intuition, the skills and the ability to anticipate the road. I also know when I am not well enough to drive, and so make other arrangements - something I'm very lucky to be able to have (I won't be forced to lose a day's wage, or my job, by not turning in).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon