Reply to post:

Mad John McAfee: 'Can you live in a society that is more paranoid than I'm supposed to be?'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

In the village, everyone's lives were similar enough that just knowing about your neighbour didn't create problems. In the global village, you have to get all bent out of shape because someone teaches and practices suna a.k.a. female genital mutilation. I think I was happier when I didn't know, and the set of problems to be approached was smaller, and the people raising money to go campaign against things were fewer, and on and on. I have no authority in Africa so that ends it for me but the next arsehole says "well maybe we should!" Then, let's force everyone into a big democracy so we all have to stop and pay attention to what the others are wrong about since they need to be outgunned before unacceptable things happen somewhere. My least favourite things about democracy are 1) asking me to exercise another form of control over everyone else, even if only by contributing my weight to the controller, while everyone else does that to me as if that makes it fair, 2) forcing everyone to pay attention to what everyone disagrees about, and 3) leading people to disagree about meaningless things while the real mess piles up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon