Reply to post: I love it...

Sysadmins rebel over GUI-free install for Windows Server 2016

MissingSecurity
IT Angle

I love it...

I've still not actually seen any valid claim for needing a GUI yet (Especially since MS goals seems to be to get you to remotely manager servers, and ironically it can be done through a single Management Console).

First any SMB less than 25 people that are will to fork over $800 + CALS for MS Server and can't figure out how to google (add GUI to Server) is really asking for it. (For that matter, if they paid a consultant to to suggest that, they were probably robbed).

Second, maybe it's time for consultants to not have (1) dimension. It just might be time for some education, for both you and your customers. I presume MS will be sticking there fingers in the Technical Colleges soon to tell all the mold-able minds that this the "way of the future" and young IT pros will be be learning this anyway.

Lastly, I think this is hilarious that "Sysadmins" and "Consultants" are having issues with this. If you are a consultant or call yourself a Sysadmin and you've con'd a SMB into purchasing the latest MS server because you can't exercise other options and can't provide the CMD line for your client you deserve to be tackled and urinated on

(Let me help, it will probably be Add-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Shell, Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, I think they also have a CMD GUI).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon