Reply to post: Gnome3

Fedora 22: Don't be glum about the demise of Yum – this is a welcome update

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Gnome3

When will the hate end? Granted it was once a bit shit but these days theres nothing wrong with it.

Its clean, fast and largely out of your face.

Its not bad, really, its not. Its the most consistent DE ive used recently.

Ive tried XFCE, and whilst its nice and fast it just looks and feels a bit lacklustre and can be hilariously inconsistent. Having lots of apps open in various states of "theming" is crazy at times. MATE is ok but feels a bit dated to me. Cinnamon is great but I find after a while it starts to wear me down. Unity is solid as well, I just hate having to remove stuff after an install so the Amazon stuff bothers me.

Im rocking 3.16 and its never held me back. Its the only DE that doesnt get in the way and allows you to just get on with things. You dont have to fiddle around with it. It just works.

Honestly theres nothing taken out that I miss from Gnome2. I did love Gnome2

As for Nautilus, it should be simple. Ive always done advanced file management from the terminal, it feels safer that way.

The only things that wind me up are the lack of transparency on terminals and the fact the workspaces are vertical instead of horizontal.

Multitouch support would be nice as well.

As for Fedore its the distro I look at and wish it could be simpler. I hate the default security set up and ive never liked the package management, ive always got on better with deb packages. With this new package manager I might give them a look in again.

AC because...well...ya know.

As for systemd...haters need to shut up. Its not that bad.

Climb off your tyres and stop flinging your shit around.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon