Reply to post: So funny

Fanbois designing Windows 10 – where's it going to end?

John Sanders
Linux

So funny

Me on the other hand always envied how in windows everything is (was) always visible.

There are three things in the Windows desktop which I always have considered genius.

1) Double click in the tittle of a window maximizes.

2) Graphical applications are always shown in the task bar.

3) Graphical applications can be easily switched on & off via alt+tab

I grew up with the computers and terminals of the 80's those are really great and innovative ideas, I do not know if MS came with them first, but it was Win95 that gave them universal exposure.

They are like the keyboard and mouse almost perfect, over 30 years very little of utility has been introduced in those that has had any real usefulness, barely some refinements like using more than one screen.

For me a work-sane graphical desktop has to have those three.

I do not use/refuse Macs because it doesn't do them, I can not use Gnome 3 for the same reasons, I can still use Win 8.1 even not liking it because it still does those.

I can use any Linux desktop where I can have these and a terminal. (Currently I'm a XFCE fan)

Can a better form of graphical input be designed/created? Its not impossible, but I believe it will not happen for the time being, we'll have specialized input controllers like a tablet, joystick, etc like we have had for a long time but that's about it.

if MS was clever IMHO they will leave that alone, but seeing what they did to menus in modern Windows I'm not entirely convinced they would.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon