Reply to post: Re: Good for them

Skype hauled into court after refusing to hand call records to cops

Tabor

Re: Good for them

Why the downvotes for AC ? I'll do him one better : I am one of the cyclists. As a 12 year old nipper, I was hit by a car when crossing the road. Said car was doing twice the speed limit, as testified by various witnesses (including an off-duty policeman who was overtaken by the offender). End result : I got a cool ambulance ride, my parents had to pay for the aforementioned ride and the damage to the car (not to mention a new bike). Because, you know, he played soccer in the first league, and I wasn't seriously hurt.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that

a) this is not exclusive to Belgium

b) it would not be possible anymore in Belgium (this was close to thiry years ago)

Back on-topic : difficult to choose sides on this one... it's not a US-style NSL, the case has merit, and there was a court-ordered warrant. But (leaving the border issue aside) : from what I read in the Belgian newspapers I get the impression that they expect access to anything with a warrant and expect a backdoor to encrypted communications. Which kind of defeats the purpose... So I guess I'm rooting for Microsoft on this one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon