Reply to post: Re: Said no HP enterprise customer. Ever.

Fibre Channel over Ethernet is dead. Woah, contain yourselves

Jesper Frimann

Re: Said no HP enterprise customer. Ever.

Jup, I can only agree.

When I used to Work for IBM, then I did together with a another infrastructure architect, the 'local' standard design for multi-tenant Flex infrastructure. And by using CN adapters in the nodes, then with 2x 4 port CN adapters in the x86 nodes and x2 8 port CN (6 ports available) in the POWER nodes we were actually able to cut the 'capacity as a service' price quite a lot, compared to the stupid design that well... IBM server Group wanted us to use.

This was an environment that relied on a huge shared cheap SAN infrastructure for storage, so FC was a must.

So using 2 CN adapters gave us full redundancy on a x240 node you didn't have to step up to the more expensiv x440 node to get this, it also gave us plenty of IO 8x10 GBit hence we upped the RAM in the nodes giving us higher Virtual machine density, it gave us simpler cabeling, for low performance nodes we could actually Do away with 2 switches in the chassis, And for the optional TOR switches, you didn't need 2 for Network and 2 for FC you just needed 2 Converged switch'es where you then could break out your FC.

This was actually quite big saving while still meeting the design goals of the solution, which included some rather serious security considerations.

And from what I know of HP blades, you could do pretty much a design along the same line using HP products.

So dead ? I hope not.

// Jesper

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon