Reply to post: When dealing with Windows you take your chances.

Microsoft: Free Windows 10 for THIEVES and PIRATES? They can GET STUFFED

Ken 14

When dealing with Windows you take your chances.

My son has a WIN 7 Lap Top and the hard drive failed. Because the recover media was on a partition on the failed drive we needed a copy of WIN 7 to reinstall on the new drive. I scoured the Microsoft site until I found out that they already stopped supporting WIN 7 and found a link they provided to another site where I could download a full copy of WIN 7. Well it loaded onto his system just fine and apparently activated just fine using the licensing key still attached to the bottom of his machine. Three months later it decided that it was not a genuine copy of WIN 7 and stopped it from updating and put a nag window up. I wound up having to purchase a set of recovery disks from Toshiba to get his machine up and running again without getting a nag screen. All I see for a future with a WIN 10 upgrade is endless problems down the line after another hardware failure that requires a full reload. I'll just skip an upgrade to WIN 10 and I think when I have another failure that it will be time for Linux...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon