Reply to post: Does anyone know what's going on?

IN YOUR FACE, Linux and Apple fans! Oculus is Windows-only for now

Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Does anyone know what's going on?

Does anyone know what's going on here? I mean, if the video card is doing the 3D rendering work, and sending the result (via HDMI) to the Occulus, why does it need *2* USB3 ports - this is a lot of data! I wouldn't think motion and position info would push, well, even a USB1 port honestly. If the textures and triangles are being sent to the Occulus to render there, why the powerful video card requirement? I was thinking maybe power, but then why the requirement for USB3 instead of just two USB ports? If the work is truly being split, then how do you think this is being done -- every other line, left/right half, card and Occulus doing every other frame? Just curious.

BTW, if the work's being split that's probably why there are no OSX or Linux drivers. I know Linux *does* support this kind of usage -- recently - but a) Since it's recent support, I don't know if it's got a reasonably good design, or if it's some kind of sloppy kludge that got the existing configurations to work. b) nvidia driver, at least, bypasses a portion of the Xorg internals -- which is not necesarily a bad thing, nvidia's implementation is fast and well-behaved.. but it does mean it's possible Xorg supports splitting OpenGL up between cards in the way the Rift needs, but the nvidia driver bypasses the part of the stack that suports this (and the "nv" driver probably doesn't support new enough cards.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon