Reply to post: Re: @AC ... My crystal ball says

Uber and car makers jockey for Nokia's 'HERE' maps – report

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC ... My crystal ball says

> Why have a 'crystal ball' when you work in the tech.

As it happens, my background and former career is closely related to this. :)

Just a couple clarifications.

> You need an accurate map.

You need:

a) Sufficiently accurate (and precise) cartographic information (of which a map is just one possible representation).

b) A way of quantifying said accuracy (and precision) in order to verify that your requirements are met.

> So its not just road links, but addressing and then the POIs placed on top of the map.

That's cartographic information.

> the self driving car does need [...] a good clock and decent GPS among other things.

By "a good clock" you mean one with desirable long or short term drift qualities? I do note that GPS is a timing and ranging system, which means that wherever you have GPS you have excellent timekeeping (except at the submilisecond level).

> There's more, a lot more which means that trying to have a driver less car means you should end up taking the bus. ;-)

The immediate automotive industry goal is not to have driverless cars, but self-driving cars. Not the same thing at all. And I do note that neither current nor planned¹ self-driving cars rely on external inputs for piloting (as opposed to navigation): all the information comes exclusively from onboard sensors.

Not sure whether you meant to imply that you work on the mapping or car industry, but here is what I think is a decent article (much better than what can be found at El Reg in any case) about self-driving cars: http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/18/audi-self-driving-rs-7-concept-test-drive/. Be sure to read the full thing.

Going back to the original point: I speculate that your 2030 model car (or closest French equivalent) will be using OSM data for navigation, not Google Maps, HERE, or anything of the sort. Being pure speculation, I may of course be wrong, but we'll see in fifteen years.

¹ On the planned front, inter-vehicle communication systems would act as augmentation systems that enhance piloting capabilities, but they are not required by any self-driving car project that I am aware of.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon