Reply to post:

Airbus to sue NSA, German spies accused of swiping tech secrets

crayon

"So anything that disagrees with your version of reality has to be discounted out of hand? ..."

It seems you have a febrile imagination (someone less kind than me would say feeble), that you can infer so much from so few words is incredible. I have not said a single word about the veracity or otherwise of that BBC report. What is true though is that the standard and objectivity of BBC reporting has been going downhill. But whether that report is true or not is besides the point, the essence is that you seem to believe:

"[The USA] In this case they respected UN arms and trade embargoes - the searches were for companies in breach of UN sanctions."

Find me someone who truly believes that and I'll find you an idiot. The US cynically exploit UN Resolutions and values as cover to advance their interests in the cases where Resolutions and values coincide with interests. When they do not coincide and the US is unable to bend the UN to its will then they will mock the UN as irrelevant and carry on with their unilateral policies. So much for respect.

"You want to pretend no European companies ever broke UN embargoes?"

Companies and countries the world over have and continue to do so, especially the US, which like to police others but not itself.

"It's called detection and prevention"

It's called blanket surveillance pretending to catch the terrorists created by the policies of the "West". If you think the information gathered is only used for terrorism related purposes then you're more delusional than I give you credit for. Any commercially advantageous information gleaned WILL be put to use to advance US interests.

"By ensuring India develops that tech responsibly the US is ensuring that India does not follow North Korea into being a blackmarket source for Third World dictators."

IF that is really want the US wants then they should be working with Pakistan instead as it would reap far more and immediate benefits. Pakistan is already known to have conducted proliferation activities and may be doing so even now. India is far more stable (insurgencies and rebels notwithstanding) than Pakistan, and is far less likely to proliferate than Pakistan. So if any country needs "help" to prevent proliferation it is Pakistan not India. Rather, the nuclear cooperation deal with India was a ploy to wean India away from Russia and as a part of a long term plan to encircle. Obviously India is too smart to stay firmly wedded to the US but would continue to play China, Russia and the US against each other to and reap any incidental benefits.

"I suppose you're actually upset because the US beat out a deal from the Fwench."

I'm not upset about anything. But I can imagine the outrage and pouting indignation from the US if it was the French or indeed any other country which did the deal. Learn to spell or grow up (I know it's futile to expect you to).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon