Reply to post: you've got to be nuts

Atlantis kicks its flashy upstart brethren right in the price tag

Nate Amsden

you've got to be nuts

To trust 256GB+ to a Supermicro system. Just flat out nuts. I won't deploy anything with anything remotely that much memory on it without something like HP Advanced ECC. That and can Supermicro even identify which DIMM has gone bad if one does go bad these days? My last bout with them was more than a few years ago, for a reason, but at the time the strategy was keep running tests and swapping DIMMs until you find the one that is bad. No easy little light that says oh hey DIMM 9 is bad.

Not to mention more often than not the way you'd find out memory was bad was by a system failure either lock up or crash. I'm sure it happens on occasion on HP gear too but for me I have never seen that behavior in the past 12 years of (on and off) usage of HP w/Advanced ECC (I won't touch HP DL100 series systems for similar reasons of not touching Supermicro for anything business related at least). Going back to DL3xx G2 anyway.

My last round with Dell gear was the R610 series a few years ago, their "version" of Advanced ECC at the time anyway disabled a third to half of the DIMM sockets on the system! Maybe it is fixed now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon