Reply to post: Re: why, why, why... what is the point?

Mozilla to whack HTTP sites with feature-ban stick

big_D Silver badge

Re: why, why, why... what is the point?

"But then I don't live in an inner city and also don't live in a perpetual state of paranoia thinking it is normal!"

Great, wouldn't want you to be paranoid. Hell if it doesn't matter, could you just let us know where you live and what time your house is normally empty?

I have a friend who used to leave his garage unlocked and the keys to his bikes in the ignition, with the comment: "if you are in the area and want to go for a ride, just take a bike, just remember, you bend it, you mend it."

He never used to lock his patio door either.

He never had any problems.

On occasions I've forgotten to lock my car doors - one time, when I was still in the UK, I got home at 11 in the evening from work and my neighbour knocked on the door at 10 the next morning to let me know the windows were still open... My coat, briefcase, CD player and CDs were all still in the car - that was in Southampton - although speaking to my old neighbours a couple of years back, they daren't leave the cars on the street at night any more, let alone leave them unlocked!

In Birmingham, I left the car in a carpark under the Holiday Inn on Monday morning. As I picked it up on Friday evening, it was unlocked - but nothing was missing.

I tend to lock the car, but there are times I forget. The only time somebody broke in was when I was a kid and despite the door being unlocked, they used my father's golf clubs to smash the window, then made off on my kiddy bike!

The same for a friend, he had a Spitfire and was always worried somebody could cut open the roof, so he left the doors unlocked, so that if somebody wanted to steal the radio, they didn't have to cut open the roof... They cut open the roof anyway [LIFTED] idiots!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon