Reply to post: Re: No Holography In Evidence. It's More Of The Old 'Pepper's Ghost'.

Microsoft HoloLens or Hollow Lens? El Reg stares down cyber-specs' code

Uffe Seerup

Re: No Holography In Evidence. It's More Of The Old 'Pepper's Ghost'.

Not so sure about that. Microsoft has not said anything either way, except for mentioning that they've had to develop a "holo chip".

I have quizzed some of my colleagues who were at Build and tried them. Specifically, they said that they focused on the objects in the real world, and that the holograms appeared sharp when focusing at the distance.

That, to me, suggests that there's more going on than simply stereoscopic lenses. If they were simply lenses that overlay an image a few centimeters from your eyes, the image would be blurred when you focus your eyes on an object 2 meters away. Try for yourself: Hold a finger in front of your eye and see if you can focus on that at the same time as you look at an object even just 50 cm away (and vice versa).

The limited viewport seems to be a dealbreaker. If they do not solve that it will see very limited usage.

But at this point you have absolutely *nothing* substantiating your claims that it is simply stereoscopic lenses, while there are at least some indication that there's more going on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon