Reply to post: Re: Why "upgrade"?

New Windows 10 will STAGGER to its feet, says Microsoft OS veep

Peter2 Silver badge

Re: Why "upgrade"?

Microsoft produced this in 2001. I still find it funny. The only improvement OfficeXP had over 2000 was not having clippy as I recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI2LVI4xgvs

So, we are going to have a sucessor to Clippy now? :( Roll on Windows 11.

All I want from a corporate Microsoft desktop OS is:-

1) stability, and boringness. An OS exists for the sole purpose of Operating Systems and the less time spent fucking around with the OS the more work the users get done. If you have to stick in lots of crap in the OS that nobody wants then allow us to disable it via group policy.

2) No "exciting" feature updates. Just fix boring things like the copy feature so that if it runs into a file requiring human input it does everything else in the que and then just leaves the exceptions for human input. Otherwise, stop fiddling. Corporate IT will pay for lack of fiddling.

3) 10+ year lifetime. Recertifying every application is expensive, time consuming and gains us nothing and we don't want to do it every week just because somebody felt the need to redevelop the wheel to look more fashionable.

4) A consistent "people ready" user experiance requiring no new training from or to the next version.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon