Reply to post: Re: Ha

EU Commish is rather pleased German BND and NSA thought it worth spying on

codejunky Silver badge

Re: Ha

@ Smooth Newt

"So yes, the original precursor to the EU was explicitly created as a political structure to make war between France and Germany impossible."

Thank you for realising it is not my history knowledge which is the problem. A common trade block NOT the recently created political and currency union was put in place and it makes war between them less likely. Although the main driving forces politically seem to be Germany's reluctance to be a European leader due to the heavy shame they still struggle with over the Nazi issue and that France was the stronger economy of the European trading block (something which has greatly changed).

So back to throwing salt over your shoulder, why does the lack of the extremely contentious EU which has prompted the rise of nationalists and extremists across the whole EU of both the left and right wings mean that there is less chance of a war than if the EU project collapsed back to the state that has worked for the majority of that 70 yrs? Compared to the recent development of the EU and its decimation of the Greek economy, rise of nationalism, friction causing with Russia, gravy train abusing and general fun-buggery?

As I said I am amused that they now feel important.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon