Reply to post: Re: Fingerprints

Got a Samsung Galaxy S5? Crooks can steal your fingerprint – claim

heyrick Silver badge

Re: Fingerprints

I use the fingerprint sensor in my S5 Mini. It is quick to unlock, one of my "fingers" is a sideways thumb swipe so I can do it one-handed, plus the weakness with PINs/passwords/patterns is the fact that you may be seen and if you are seen enough or unlock carelessly in front of others, your secret may not be so secret. I can unlock my phone with others watching, my thumb is unique to me and this crowd isn't going to know how to fake a fingerprint...

...having said that, the standard rules apply here as a case of "business as usual". Malware and bad software carelessly installed can do bad things. Well. Duh. That predates mobile phone. Hell, it predates mobile computing.

If somehow I do get malicious software that tries to auth purchases - well, good luck with that. Apple doesn't know my bank details. Google doesn't either. And I won't go within a hundred miles of eBay/PayPal with a real bank account, it's virtual credit cards all the way. My phone authorising payments? Not a desired feature. It's a little computer, not a credit card. Start to cross over realms like that, you KNOW who the small print in the contract stipulates will be burned. Hint - it's us. So...no thanks. "Fingerprint" for unlocking only. Nothing more.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon