Reply to post: If only they had an OS that people wanted

Microsoft uses Windows Update to force Windows 10 ads onto older PCs

Dwarf
Thumb Down

If only they had an OS that people wanted

Then they would not have to give it away.

I've been a dos and windows user for decades (along with other os's), but, I've looked at the preview of 10 and it won't be going anywhere near my hardware. I want an OS whose only purpose is to do what I want and in the way that I want it, recognising that others may want to do the same job differently. For example, how many ways are there to make a perfect cup of tea ? None are wrong, just different approaches.

For me, windows is at the end of the road. I'll stick with Windows 7 for a bit, then into something new if 10 hits the street similar to the preview.

I don't like all the flat graphics; the broken start menu (I want it in my order, not alphabetical). I also don't want this tile tripe - even if it were on a phone, nor a 4k screen blurred with lots of fingerprint smudges. Think what people want to do MS, listen to them.

If they just force an update, then I'll be off earlier. Linux works well for me, even with the big pile of odd apps I have, I've already got parallel running systems up.

I know of a lot of people putting off an upgrade as they don't want 8, or 10 either. Will be interesting to see how the market reacts on a larger scale.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon