Reply to post:

Streaming tears of laughter as Jay-Z (Tidal) waves goodbye to $56m

iMhere

Well the launch may have been BS, but get a hold of yourself Alistair, you can sample this free for a month which I have been doing for a few days.

It is a very expensive service no doubt. But, I don’t consider the launch, rather quality and catalogue. I doubt anyone can fault the quality, it sounds like a CD. And yes I have listened with a good DAC with Grado Labs headphones and through Airplay to a Denon amp. Both work well.

In terms of the catalogue, there is nothing I have searched for that I couldn’t find. We also need to remember that you can download albums for off-line listening with this, not just listen to streaming playlists. So, one you have discovered, you can have the album for as long as you subscribe to the service.

The only downside for me is that I would not normally buy enough CDs per year to equal the subscription price. I have to weigh up if the price is worth the convenience. However if I keep the service, I will download and listen to albums I normally wouldn’t, enhancing my music experience.

The press for Tidal also lead me to find it’s competitor Deezer which I am also trialling. I may well keep one of these two, I just wish the were a bit more affordable…

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon