Reply to post: Re: Typical mindless action from TPG

POODLE vuln dogs Australian consumer modems

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Typical mindless action from TPG

So I got one of these related to my WD MyBookLive. Seems that WD haven't bothered to update firmware on their devices to disable SSLv2 & 3. Nor do they ever answer support calls from mere mortals...I ranted at TPG and got the following answer:

===

Yes this is only a notification to our customers about the vulnerability on FREAK and POODLE. We are also working on the notification message so this may change in the future.

As for the suspension of the account, customers will normally get a phone call if we are really going to end up in suspending a service. When we end up with this choice that means there is really a threat coming from the said network.

===

Admittedly, that first threatening mail from them could have been worded better, but I think ACMA is the culprit here...trying to justify funding for AISI.

If you check the AISI malware statistics at http://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Internet/e-Security/Australian-Internet-Security-Initiative/aisi-malware-statistics-1 you will see that there are in fact over 200,000 vulnerable services in Oz...I guess ACMA just couldn't resist doing something about it. :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon