Reply to post: Re: Systemd

Locally Integrated Menus back on Vivid Vervet’s menu

Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Systemd

"you are having a laugh?"

I wish I was. I had an old box at work that was originally used with Vista Enterprise / Office 2007 (Company-standard Dell Optiplex GX 620). Had a Dual-core chip in it (Early generation Core 2 Duo), a Gigabyte of RAM, a 120 GB disk, and an Intel GMA-950 for video. When I had Word, Excel, Outlook and Firefox with a few tabs, I'd see a usage of about 325-350 MB RAM and average 10-20% CPU usage. Fairly smooth overall.

Late November I pulled the machine out from under my desk and slapped Ubuntu 14.4-LTS on with FIrefox, OpenOffice and Thunderbird. I was seeing about 25-30% CPU and between 375-400 MB of memory usage and the graphics looked like I was watching it through SSTV. Switching out KDE for XFCE dropped those number to about 18-22% CPU and 300-325 MB of RAM usage, frame rate went up to something close to normal.

I eventually decided to just slap OpenBSD on it with XFCE, LibreOffice, and SeaMonkey. The CPU reports and average of about 4-5% and around 100-150 MB of RAM used. And the framerate is much improved.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon