Reply to post: Re: Typical mindless action from TPG

POODLE vuln dogs Australian consumer modems

John Tserkezis

Re: Typical mindless action from TPG

"Sadly iiNet customers can look forward to this sort of mindless responses, no wonder Michael Malone came out against the takeover."

I agree, but for different reasons. This is the generic alert you're going to get from ANY isp.

We received one from the ISP where I used to work who blocked only the port the garbage was being sent on. Once we knew what was going on, we tracked down the offending user who's machine was compromised (virus scanners are bloody useless), and once we verified he wasn't spewing spam anymore, we got in touch with our ISP and told them to take the block off and see that we weren't leaking anymore. And that was that, all rather painless. We did however, know what we were doing.

Home users on the other hand - good luck with that. It would make sense that TPG block only the port(s) that were doing the spewing, but to take the brutal approach and block the entire account is too much.

It's especially amusing they suggest antivirus software, as in our case, the malware went straight through it like that vindaloo you had for lunch last week.

Like I said, I was going to churn to iiNet, but since TPG is buying them - hell no.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon