Reply to post: Re: Why is compelling servitude "freedom"?

Anti-gay Indiana starts backtracking on hated law after tech pressure

lorisarvendu

Re: Why is compelling servitude "freedom"?

"Much has been written about the florist and photographer who refused to service a gay wedding because it offends their religious beliefs. Regardless of what you may think about their beliefs, why in 2015 is persecution of someone for exercising their faith a good thing?"

Because if that religious belief involves you descriminating against someone who is not breaking a law then you should think long and hard about what you are doing. If your religious belief says you should not service someone who is a murderer, or a thief, or a paedophile, then I would understand, because those people have committed illegal acts. But being homosexual is no longer an illegal act, so you are descriminating against somebody who has committed no crimes against the law of the land (or State) that you live in.

If you are Jewish you should not descriminate against Gentiles; if you are Muslim you should not descriminate against Jews; if you are Protestant you should not descriminate against Catholics, so long as being a Gentile, a Jew, a Muslim, a Protestant, a Catholic...or even an Atheist, is not against the law of the Country or State you live in.

The real answer of course is that you shouldn't discriminate against anyone just because a Holy Book says so. If you do, that makes you a Religious Bigot, and Completely Wrong.

I'm from the UK so it would appear I have a far more tolerant and far less polarised view towards same-sex relationships and marriages than certain people in the US. It still astounds us that a US politician can stand up and state publicly that homosexuality is wrong and will be punished by God. None of our politicians would be stupid enough to do that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon