Reply to post:

Don't listen to me, I don't know what I'm talking about – a pundit speaks

Jeff Lewis

I think there's a bit more to it than that though... I think pundits want to shock people and so either tend to leap to the extremes: "Macs are THE BEST... Windows is THE WORST... SSDs are THE FUTURE... spinny storage thingies are DEAD" when in reality, "Macs are fine, Windows is fine, SSDs are cool for somethings not for others, spinny storage thingies are great if you have huge masses of data" and so on.

But the latter is kind of 'yeah? we know that...' and the former is 'OOOH Them's fightin words!'

There's also a surreal tribal mentality that has leaked into computing (I say this because when I started programming, you didn't get status from which *brand* you owned - you got status simply by having *access* to a computer... If you actually *owned* one - you were a god) which gives pundits a wonderful kneejerk button to push by saying something as simple as "Macs are better than PCs" (which is so freaking old that it goes back to the 1980s.. lest we forget).

Personally, I'm over the whole pundit thing. It happened when I was following a live blog by Ars Technica, no less, on a WWCD Apple keynote a year or so ago and you could *hear* the reporters' eye glaze over when they started talking about Swift. One of them just outright said "I can't keep up with this - just call it 'magic'" and I suddenly realised the people I had been relying on to provide me with meaningful *technical* insight were... clueless. They were techie poseurs.

Didn't stop them from writing and having opinions they were obviously pulling from their collective arses though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon