Reply to post: Re: Why does the UK pander dangerous drivers?

Ford: Our latest car gizmo will CHOKE OFF your FUEL if you're speeding

Steve Evans

Re: Why does the UK pander dangerous drivers?

Because sometimes the posted speed limits are totally inappropriate.

There's a road near me (an A road) which used to be a 60mph zone... It's now a 40mph with a 30mph in the middle where there are some houses. I don't object to the 30mph with the houses, that's sensible.

They also added pedestrian refuges in the middle too, which narrows the road.

I have driven it almost daily for over 20 years. The accident rate has increased. Why? Because now when you are stuck behind a tractor (or granny, or Mr/Mrs 35mph everywhere, or more usually the local idiot on his horse and no helmet - Yes, there is someone that stupid), you can't pass easily. The road used to be wide enough for 3 abreast (it's almost straight), now thanks to the pedestrian refuges, it's not, so you either have to be very quick, or time it so you go right over to the far side of the road, the wrong side of the traffic islands.

Oh, but at least the pedestrians are safe... Yes, hundreds of them... All crossing the road... I've never seen a single one... BECAUSE THERE IS ONLY A PAVEMENT ON ONE SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!! (The other side is just a grass verge and fields).

I can't help but think a councilor has a house down there...

That is why people ignore speed limits... Because often they just don't make any sense... A bit like the "fog" warning signs on motorways when you can see several miles, and have barely even seen mist in months.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon