Reply to post: Looks to me like El Reg is most fortunate Verizon is in the US instead of the UK

FCC to Verizon: Blocking 911 calls? That's a $3.4m paddlin'

Tom 13
FAIL

Looks to me like El Reg is most fortunate Verizon is in the US instead of the UK

Otherwise you'd be looking at a major defamation suite for this headline, the article and the reporting. From the Executive Summary (you know, the Cliff Notes for Dummies part of the report):

Based on its review of this record, the Bureau concludes that the April 2014 multistate outage was caused by a preventable software coding error in Colorado-based Intrado, Inc.’s (Intrado) Englewood Emergency Call Management Center (ECMC).

So, no Verizon was emphatically NOT blocking 911 calls. Instead an independent contractor had a software failure that torpedo all 911 traffic from all telecoms service providers that was headed to certain call areas.

Verizon's failure was reporting the outage, over which it had no control, to the FCC.

But I suppose we can't let a silly thing like the facts get in the way of a good two-minute hate now can we.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon