Reply to post:

Sir Terry remembered: Dickens' fire, Tolkien's imagination, and the wit of Wodehouse

Aub the IT Bloke
Unhappy

I have to admit to being deeply saddened by the loss of Pterry, I have every book, quite a few of them in pristine unsigned hardback, and they've been the only thing I have actually wanted for birthdays and Christmas for years, the Mrs will be at a loss.

Now (to go for a tech angle) I'm sure I'm not alone in this but for the last 20 years I have been naming computers after the characters from Discworld, both at home and at work. There is such a rich variety of characters that you can always find something that is appropriate. My personal favourites include :-

Rincewind - bit of a crap server but ran for ever.

Twoflower - my laptop that travelled the world with us.

Luggage - NAS filer that stored everything but you were never quite sure if it was going to eat a disk.

Now modern standardised naming conventions have taken over at work I wonder how long the likes of these will last. I think we should all try to make sure there's at least one representative of Discworld on every LAN, in honour of the man that made it all possible.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon