Reply to post: Two Related Problems with systemd

Grab your pitchforks: Ubuntu to switch to systemd on Monday

CFWhitman

Two Related Problems with systemd

I have two related problems with systemd. The first is that it's getting larger and more complex every day and taking over functions of other programs seemingly for no real reason. It's not that this goes against the Unix philosophy that bothers me; it's that it goes against the reason for the Unix philosophy, delegation of processing and interchangeable parts.

That leads me to my second problem with systemd. There are many init systems available for Linux, but they have never been that contentious because you can always pull one out and replace it with another. Systemd seems to be heading in the direction that you won't be able to just pull it out and replace it with another init system. I don't see anything so valuable about systemd that makes it worth losing interchangeability. I don't even really see why it needs to lose interchangeability to accomplish the other things it does. Let it become the standard init system on the merits of its advantages rather than because my system no longer works right without it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon