Reply to post: From Sales

SOLD: Emulex – for 34% less than shareholders were offered 6 years ago

ROFLMAO

From Sales

As a sales person I always preferred selling FC over iSCSI solutions in greenfield opportunities. It was a much cleaner sale and selling a customer on a discrete physical network was much easier with FC than selling them on the need for much higher-end Ethernet switches they might have been purchasing. BTW adding a discrete storage network easily pays for its self within a year verses baking in the new network into an existing infrastructure. As far as end-user experience customers were equally satisfied with iSCSI and FC environments however I do see a tendency for customers with DR initiatives to retire FC and move to iSCSI. Shops where FC has the most traction would be any environment with security audits since there is no direct access to storage without a FC HBA and as described to me not having direct access to storage saves days of time during audits. In conclusion IMHO based on conversation and observation I have seen no difference in reliability between protocols between well designed and DOCUMENTED installs however I have seen some very smart people in continually very difficult situations because of poorly conceived environments.

One more thing, as a sales person I am always amazed at the amount of time XXOs, managers, and minions will spend sales people and on what they base their decisions. The only proper way to make a storage purchase is build a scorecard and interview potential vendors and make them remove remove adjectives and adverbs from their pitch and deal with numbers and initiatives. At least 90% of the shops I visit paid and are paying premiums for unused features that are either of no value or they don't know how to use.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon